Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, 2012 - J

[6:58 ; I arrive at work]
? -7:17 ; wandering (see NOTE 1)
NOTE 2 ; see below
8:06 ; gratuitous cleaning
8:22 ; sitting
[8:54-9:03 ; bathroom, I am not in the department to observe]
10:03-10:20 ; wandering - leaves in car
[10:04-10:15 ; break, I am not in the department to observe]
10:55-12:03 ; wandering - (lunch?) (see NOTE 3)
[11:07-11:38 ; lunch, I am not in the department to observe]
12:03-12:25 ; wandering - car involved again
+1:20-1:32 ; wandering
1:40-1:50 ; internet (NOTE 4)
2:02-2:06 ; phone (NOTE 5)
2:06-2:12 ; wandering
2:12-2:28 ; phone
2:28-2:32 ; phone (land line - incoming call - business?)
2:32-2:40 ; sitting (NOTE 6)
2:40 ; (NOTE 7)
2:59-3:22 ; wandering
3:22-3:37 ; sitting, yakking, phone
3:37-3:50 ; wandering
3:50-3:55 ; yakking
3:55- ? ; wandering
[3:59 ; I go home] - J's car still in parking lot


NOTE 1: This is hearsay, but I'm told that it is standard practice for J to arrive at least a half an hour before his scheduled time, clock in, then head back out of the building for a half hour or so, returning with breakfast, which he then eats. I have seen him come in the building with breakfast, but I cannot confirm the time-clock part.

NOTE 2: At this point, I've got to explain the job that J was assigned (again - see July 24). It is a fairly simple job, involving about 2 to 5 minutes of set-up and around 15 minutes of staring at the machine. The job is done repeatedly, the whole thing lasting at least a couple of hours, usually, if not all day. Apparently, 15 minutes was not enough for J, because he slowed the machine speed down to the point that it takes almost a half an hour to complete each cycle. I generally only note malingering when the machine is not running. If it involves wandering, then I may start the time at the point when J left the area, rather than when the machine stops.

NOTE 3: Another bit of hearsay: I'm told that J has a habit of clocking out for lunch at 10:30, continuing to work, then clocking back in at 11:00 when he leaves the building. He also does it sometimes when he eats lunch at later times (or has two lunchs). Again, I havent witnessed this. I'd love to compare my notes and the time-clock records, though.

NOTE 4: while technically the machine was still running at this point, the internet is strictly forbidden, including Facebook. I think he only got off because one of the minor managers who he likes to keep on the good side of showed up.

NOTE 5: It should be noted that the machine had stopped at this point (2:02). I know this because I was timing it. It took about 27 minutes to complete the cycle. The machine being run by St, on the other hand, took 16 minutes to complete its cycles.

NOTE 6: At one point I had business near J. He was sitting facing the computer, mouse in hand, asleep.

NOTE 7: Starts machine after enough time has passed to do one of his own cycles, or two of anyone else's. Leaves building in his car shortly thereafter (2:45ish). Returns at 2:58.

A final bit of hearsay: J apparently hangs around the building long after I've left. I cant imagine him doing so off the clock (though it's possible), which again leads back to my strong desire to see his time-clock report. Reportedly, on this day he left around 5:30, two hours after his shift was supposed to be over.



If the terms used seem confusing, you might read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment